Sunday, September 26, 2010

I'm pressing on.



There are days when I feel so full of joy I think my heart is going to explode, I couldn't imagine having any other life and my end goal is in mind. I feel confident that I have what it takes to get things accomplished, and I feel hopeful for the future ahead.

And then there are other days. Days like today. Days, where after working on homework for seven hours (on a Sunday), and making yet another drug card, I hit a wall. The first big road block of the semester. I began to question, what it is that I am doing? Why is it again that I want to be a nurse? Why am I putting myself through spending another hour learning how to prevent pressure ulcers in my patients, researching congestive heart failure, and memorizing adverse reactions to antibiotics? Why am I set on recognizing heart murmurs, knowing how to administer IVs, and what to do if someone is having a stroke.

It's days like these that I must think back to the days passed. I think back to this summer taking Boke to the clinic, I think back to the countless bandages I have applied, and the countless illnesses I wished I knew how to treat. It's when I think of that beautiful clinic in the village of Ntagacha, when I remember the people who are traveling hours by foot to the hospital, it is when I think of the hope that I possess, that it makes it worthwhile. When I keep this in mind, every drug card has a face, every disease process, a name. Every memorized procedure has a place in my heart. I want to be a nurse because I want to help people. I want to make a difference in the village of Ntagacha and around the world. I want to be God's hands, helping the needy and loving the lost. I want to be a nurse, and that is just what I will do. And I'm going to do it well, with a smile on my face, and with love in my heart. I'm going to be a nurse...because that is why I was made.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. -Philippians 3:14

3 comments:

Charlene said...

I'm so proud of you! I see amazing maturity in you and I know that even when it gets hard you will push through with God's help. You have the heart to be a nurse, that's just the way it is!

A Journey of a Thousand Miles... said...

Yeah. What mom said. Monica, you are an inspirtation to those around you. Even to your big sister. You have what it takes!c

Loretta said...

Wow! I was so blessed by "I'm pressing on". It is easy to stay focused when everything is going good but to keep your eyes on the goal when things are going rough..that's the kind of person God can do amazing thing in and through. Blessings, Loretta