Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Stir Yourself Up...


So often I find myself disillusioned by the world around me and dulled by the often mundane tasks that make up my life right now. I feel busy, busy, busy and my spirit is feeling weary, weary, weary. But this is not how it is supposed to be. I find myself making lists, prioritizing activities and worrying about everything on my to do list from wedding plans, to job searching to figuring out how to survive my upcoming clinical in the IICU.

I have found myself searching for others approval and constant encouragement, but often my search is futile. Others cannot read my mind, they do not know what I need, and really it is not up to them to supply all of my emotional needs. When I was sharing with my mom the other weekend all of the pressures that I feel, and the lack of encouragement I feel I am receiving, in her wisdom, she simply replied, "Monica-stir yourself up." I looked at her for a moment, a little hurt that she did not throw me a pity party, but then relieved because I realized she had given me the best advice I have heard. Take matters into your own hands, control your own fate, make your own choices about your mood and emotions- "stir yourself up."

Though I heard that advice I do not know that I have really put it into action, though. This morning I woke up thinking about my resume and job applications, my group project later on today, the presentation due next week and I began once again to feel dull. And I hate to admit it- but because of my busyness, I have put my God-seeking, self stirring to the bottom of the priority list. The problem is, it should be the top. I almost felt guilty just now as I opened my journal and Bible and began to encourage myself in the Lord. I couldn't stop thinking about my other projects. But the more I sit here and inundate myself in the Word, the more I am refreshed, and encouraged. The more I cannot wait to experience life with those I love, the more I find meaning in the school tasks that will fell up my weak. In other words the more I stir, the more joyful I become, the more productive I am, the more I want to encourage others and the beautiful, lovely cycle continues!!!

So right now I am going to put everything else aside, I am going to pray for those I love in Tanzania, thank my beautiful Lord for all his blessings, and stir myself up in the Word until my heart overflows with joy and I am encouraged. I will take my life into my own hands, control my own fate and choose my emotions. And when I am done- I will stir up someone else, I hope you learn to do the same.

I Timothy 1:6 "For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands."

2 comments:

Jen said...

Monica, I love your blog! I'm discovering all the people I know who blog after starting my own. I love all your pics, your heart, your stories...and this one really spoke to me!! so thanks and keep sharing!

Angela said...

What a smart Momma we have! Thanks - this has encouraged me to do the same!