Friday, February 6, 2009

Life in Tanzania






It has been raining about everyday which makes the evenings cool, but the afternoons get pretty hot, especially under the tin roof. The local people have been fighting. Cows and land are being stolen and so they go to “war” with their bows and arrows. That, more than anything, makes me realize I’m not at home. I’m not worried because they are glad to have us in their village and have nothing against us, but it is still strange.
I love the food here- though we have some American staples; we eat a lot of rice, vegetables and fruit. Every afternoon we eat mango, it is so..o..o delicious and usually we have pineapple or bananas for breakfast as well.
In the mornings I have been helping Hannah feed the animals. We have dogs, a pig and chickens and roosters. I have been enjoying just doing the little things to help around the house. I have also been helping put up tile this week- we need to get everything ready for when the kids come. The tile makes a mess and there is dust everywhere. It’s a little harder to clean here. We take advantage of our vacuum cleaners, outdoor hoses and just things that don’t easily clog.

This weekend Mwita and I stayed back with the kids while the rest of the team headed off to a town called Mwanza. I had fun being a mother of three . :) We played lots of games, ate candy and watched movies on our laptops. I really like spending time with the kids. They are so much fun and have such imaginations. What a childhood they must be having! They get to have new experiences every day.

This week I will begin to help get the place ready for the kids. We need to get their rooms ready, and make profiles for them so they can be sponsored. I am so looking forward to meeting these children and to help give them hope of a future. What an opportunity I have right now. I am experiencing new things everyday in a wonderful place with beautiful people. I am so happy to be in Tanzania!!!!

No comments: