Monday, August 23, 2010

Back to School



It is my first day of my last year of nursing school, and I am overwhelmed with emotions. It is going to be a hard year, there is no doubt about that. I am confident, though, that God has already given me the strength and wisdom to get through it!

Being back in America, I am once again bombarded with the differences between the land, one thing I cannot get over is our ungratefulness amidst our vast opportunities. I was confronted with it at school today. My goal this year is to be different than that. As I heard the grumbling and complaining of my classmates, I cannot help but think of my friends back in Ntagacha who are desperate to find money for school fees so that can get an education. How many girls in that village would love a chance to go to nursing school!

When I think of the sacrifices we make here to go to school, I think of another friend who left his wife and sons for 18 months to pursue a degree. There are countless fathers who go hungry to sent their children to school, and countless mothers who would give anything for their children to have the opportunity.

What a blessing I have! What an opportunity I have in front of me! And as I continue on my path to being a nurse, I also think of the beautiful Tumaini Medical Center that I have spent hours praying for and dreaming in. I long to be there and I long to make a difference in that land. Now, though, I will be content to learn everything I can and hopefully bring a positive attitude to a few other people along the way.

Pray that I will be able to make a difference, and pray to that I will have the strength to finish well. I know at the end of this, the journey is just beginning!!!

1 comment:

Angela said...

You're awesome! Thanks for your perspective and your passion!