Wednesday, August 4, 2010

What Does Love Look Like?






(These are the updates I had meant to post during my trip, but because of the lack of internet connection...I am putting them up now)

I was thinking today about love. Not because my heart is bursting with love for Tanzania, and not even because I just got engaged (though that certainly makes the word more real). I was thinking about love, because to me, that is what ministry is all about. Love.

I am blown away by the kids. They work from the moment the sun rises to the moment it sets. They set about doing their field work, school work and chores with joy and intent. They tell me they do out out of love. Love for each other, for the community and love for the future God has given them.

I wondered then what love looks like for me right now and it came to me...love looks like serving with out expecting in return. Love looks like being thankful, even if I do not feel it.
Love looks like making sure the team has food, washing dishes with the girls with a smile of my face.
Love looks like making beds. Today love looked like walking to the spring with the kids to fetch water for their baths.
Love has looked like drinking chai with grandmothers and dancing in church with little kids. Love has looked like giving out candy, painting ceilings, teaching English, harvesting corn, giving away clothes, buying bananas, jumping rope and praying.
Love has looked like learning Kuria, giving hugs and acknowledging countless little tugs at my arms.
Love looks like squeezing Boke's hand on the way the hospital. Love looks like anything I have done this summer out of love for the Father.

Love looks like life.

No comments: