Sunday, October 5, 2014

These I Will Never Forget


Looking back over the past year I am amazed at the diversity of life. For the past several years I have worked as an oncology nurse. Working with those patients was one of the most difficult and rewarding things I have ever done. Daily I was confronted with death and dying. It was both heart-wrenching and beautiful. I have learned so much from working with the dying and from sharing very intimate moments with them and their families.

I have learned the importance of family and surrounding yourself with those whom you love and that love you. I have learned that you can never tell anyone how much you love and appreciate them too much. And I have learned what true love looks like, and it was not always what I expected it to be.

One patient, sitting in her bed looking at pictures of her life, told me to be myself, no matter what. She said it is something I would never regret. She also told me to eat lots of chocolate :)

I have learned to dance, laugh, love, and enjoy life for we never know how many days are left. I have also learned that simple acts of kindness go a long way. Just sitting with someone in a quiet moment, saying a prayer with them, or offering them a warm blanket or a cup of coffee can speak so much louder than words

I have learned the power of faith and of prayer. I have been in many a room where a prayer for healing was not answered, but one for peace was tangibly felt. Though there was sadness and broken hearts, the peace was overwhelming. God had them all in His hands.

I have said goodbye to too many patients far too soon, and watched their families pick up the pieces of their lives when they were gone. I will never forget those lessons I have learned and will never forget the patients that taught them to me.

Life has brought me a huge change in this season. Now I spend my days filming children. It is the opposite spectrum of life. The children, however, are not a stranger to death, for they have lost their parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles. They know far too well that it is a part of life. They, however, are not defined by it.

The children and strong, healthy, and full of life and daily they teach me that life is fragile, but it is worth living to the fullest. They teach me to not let your circumstances define you and to enjoy the zest of life. Every morning I wake up to singing and am later greeted by hundreds of smiling faces. They work hard and play even harder and laughter is always on their lips.

They do not cease to amaze me. I am astounded by their kindness, their wisdom, and their joy.

I have seen the whole spectrum of life this year, and I am still amazed by the people I have met and the lessons I have learned. Their lessons will stay with me forever and their faces will always be in my heart. I am forever grateful for those I have laughed with, prayed for, and cried over. The patients they have gone before me and the children that will go behind me. These I will never forget.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... This is beautiful! What a gift you have at offering joy and peace to those around you.

Charlene said...

Life is full of lessons. May we always learn from others and use it to show love and kindness. Thanks for sharing what you have learned.

Unknown said...

That is beautiful Monica. You have learned a great truth at a young age that many people never learn.

A Journey of a Thousand Miles... said...

Monica, this is so beautifully written. I love you so much, my sister!