Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Time and Place



It’s amazing how two countries can seem so much like worlds apart. I can’t figure out how they exist in the same place. When I remember my home, it seems like it was a different lifetime. Working in the hospital, driving down the road in my car to wherever I wanted, or even if it was just to drive.

Our trip here has been so beautiful and so hard. It is nothing and everything that we expected all wrapped up into one. It is hard to be in a different culture, a different place and time. But the things that make it hard are the things that make it perfect.

When we packed up our home and all of our belongings we were setting out for new adventures and new experiences. We got all of that! We have seen some beautiful parts of the country, we have also seen some hard things. The way that poverty, hunger, and disparity can rule. It is not fair, and at times I feel helpless in it.

We have met so many wonderful people and heard such beautiful stories. Stories of hope, creativity, struggle, and breakthrough! We have many more stories yet to hear and to share.

This has been so good and so hard. I think when we step out of our comfort zones and have time to think and reflect we can see ourselves so clearly. Some things I have found I have liked, other things within me need a little work. Stretching has a way of bringing out our true selves. We have had much time to think, reflect, and to pray. I have loved those moments of quiet without the craziness of our life back home. In the quiet morning as the rooster crows, the children sing, and the sun peaks over the horizon I have done much soul searching and question asking. I have found many answers, as well.

Even in tough moments, I have tried to remind myself to be present. Waiting at the border for someone to pick us up, I reminded myself to take in the sights and sounds of the culture I love. Car broken down along the side of the road- a moment in time to create friendships with those around me. Sometimes it just takes perspective, and your life can change.

We are now staying in Nairobi following up on a few connections and meeting some new people. Though the challenges of cold showers, and limited internet are behind us, new ones arise, but I am asking for grace in the moment. Some how, it always shows up.

I cannot write about this trip without acknowledging the faithfulness of Savior God. He has been with us every step of the way, guiding, directing, and giving us grace. He has also put many things on our heart that we will continue to pursue throughout the coming years. If anything this trip has given us the time to sit and think and discover who we are and where we are going. Something that the busy world kept us from.

Here in the land of warm sun, and ripe mangoes I am free. I feel more free now that I have felt in years. Though life is not nearly as easy or convenient, it is slow and beautiful. Friends sit down to tea, have conversations along the road, and give one another time just to be. That is such a beautiful thing- just being. It is something I have enjoyed the most. Friendships here are deep and lasting, not based on catching up on Facebook, but based on living life together.

This trip has been beautiful, hard, and everything in between. I would not trade the lessons I have learned, though, for anything in the world. These stories and memories have become a part of us. That shape who we are today, and will impact who we will be tomorrow. Here’s to more memories, more adventures, and many more lessons to learn.

“I've started to look at life differently. When you're thanking God for every little you - every meal, every time you wake up, every time you take a sip of water - you can't help but be more thankful for life itself, for the unlikely and miraculous fact that you exist at all.”
― A.J. Jacobs

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love this adventure that you are on and the depth within you and Mwita. Keep journeying!

A Journey of a Thousand Miles... said...

So, so good!